How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am divorced and we have a 6 year old child. I pay

Customer Question

I am divorced and we have a 6 year old child. I pay for the child to attend a private school as set out in the consent order. My ex is not happy with the current school and is trying to force me to agree to move the child to a school which is a 30 minute commute and is double the cost. Our consent order identified named schools as a benchmarks to avoid me being asked to pay too much. My ex is claiming that our child's welfare is at risk and the education standard is not good enough. She alleges one case of bullying. I had initially said I would support her moving him based on what she told me (I assumed to one of similar cost) but now that I have visited the school and talked to them at length and am comfortable that he is doing well and is well cared for. I am very concerned about the doubling of costs given the length of time he still will attend school. He has attended the school for only 2 terms as he was previously attending a different school before his mother remarried and moved. If it goes to court will the court take into account the consent order benchmark and my views on the school or is she likely to get her way?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. As there is alread an order and approved agreement in place with specific details of schools and payment amounts, she will find it extremely difficult to persuade a court to vary this only on the basis of the issues you have outlined - a court will only be persuaded to vary orders if there is an extreme and unexpected change of circumstances.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.