How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I got married in 2006 and in 2008 my partner left me and move

This answer was rated:

I got married in 2006 and in 2008 my partner left me and move to another country (USA). She got married to that man two years ago(2014) in Cameroun where they live now. In terms of ground for divorce shall i say desertion or more than 5 years separation?
I also read on that i will need to provide proofs to show that i tried to contact her. Since it was phone calls i'm not sure how i can prove it.
My final questions: Is it possible for me to handle the whole process without a solicitor? How long can the whole process take?
More information:
-We do not have any children
-We did not own a house
-She refuses any contact
Thank you
Hi, thank you for your question. Are you sure she has not pursued a divorce already, as how has she remarried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't! She got remarried in Cameroon. I guess she simply did not mention she was married in the UK
Thank you. In the circumstances you would be able to apply for 5 year separation as this would be easier to satisfy than desertion. You can deal with the process yourself, but the issue you may encounter is proving to the court that she is aware of the divorce proceedings and that she is served with the petition.When issuing the application you can request that the court send you her copy of the petition and you can deal with serving her yourself using a process server in Cameroon. The process for a straightforward divorce takes between 6-12 months.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you