How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have lived with my husband since 1990 and been to him since

This answer was rated:

I have lived with my husband since 1990 and been to him since 2003. We have sold the house we bought together and are now living in rented accommodation. My husband has now informed me that he is buying a 500k house some 1.1/2 hrs journey from here. He made an offer some weeks ago and it has accepted (without my knowledge) I can only afford a small 2 bed house being retired and needing my savings to live on plus my state pension. He has said I can have the ten year old car.
Am I entitled to any financial help from him, he says he does not want a divorce.
Needless to say I am in complete shock and do not know which way to turn.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to assist you:-Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?-Are you intending on proceeding with a divorce?-What are your respective incomes?-What other assets do you both have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in England.
Not at the moment.
my income is approx. 950k per month
I don't know anything regarding my husband, he did have two other properties but says he sold them to his son. I do not have any other assets myself.
Thank you. Your husband has no duty to provide you anything unless there is a court order in place and you would need to pursue a divorce and alongside this there will need to reach a financial settlement, initially this should be attempted either through mediation (you can find independent mediators here: If a settlement is agreed this can be submitted to court under a consent order (together with a D81 form outlining your respective financial positions). If mediation does not progress you should then proceed with an application to court under Form A for financial relief. This would include consideration of all your assets and financial position, as well as your needs, as well as his financial position and needs and the court will decide what is fair when considering the following criteria:1. The income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including in the case of earning capacity any increase in that capacity which it would in the opinion of the court be reasonable to expect a party to the marriage to take steps to acquire;2. The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;3. The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;4. The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;5. Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage;6. The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;7. The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be inequitable to disregard it;8. In the case of proceedings for divorce or nullity of marriage, the value to each of the parties to the marriage of any benefit which, by reason of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage, that party will lose the chance of acquiring.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for information, I don't really want to go for a divorce at the moment as finding somewhere suitable for me to live is taking all my time.
My husband had a business and did well financially, I do know he has been filtering money to his son who lives with his mother. I do not want hassle but I expect I can't avoid it but I am not in the best of health. in 1996 I was admitted into hospital where I was kept in for a month, Plus I have taken two overdoses in the 90's because of all the upset which his son caused. Consequently I am on antidepressants and have been told I shall be for the rest of my life.
Sorry I have rambled a bit but I do worry about everything I have to do and if I can afford it. It looks like I shall end up with a house not as good as when I met my husband and not in an area I would choose.
Thank you. If you do decide to proceed in the future and require further assistance please do not hesitate to come back and ask further question. You can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris