How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I entered into an agreement on the 4th May with a debt collecting

This answer was rated:

I entered into an agreement on the 4th May with a debt collecting company FINAL DEMANDLIMITED. I paid them by cheque £474 . I do not wish to have this agreement so can i claim my £474 back from them or cancel the cheque.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
How old is the debt please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i dont want a telephone call can you tell me the following.Can I stop a payment by cheque that I agreed to pay on Wednesday 4th May 2016 FOR A CONTRACT I SIGNED
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get a response today
Thank you for your reply. Yes I will respond after I have reviewed the relevant information and laws. I will then get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Thanks for your patience. There is nothing stopping you from contacting the bank and placing a stop on the cheque. Assuming it has not yet cleared it will prevent the company from cashing it. However, what you have to consider is whether doing so will place you in breach of contract with the company. You have to check whether the contract you had with them allows you to cancel the contract. You need to see if there is a cancellation clause in there because sometimes the contract may not have such a clause. If no cancellation clause existed then your rights will depend on the type of contract and where it was entered. For example, if this was a contract where the company came to your property and you signed it there, you will have certain rights. You will also have rights if you signed up to this over distance, such as online or over the phone. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options on cancellation based on the type of contract you had, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you