How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

My landlord failed to protect my deposit within 30 days (he

This answer was rated:

My landlord failed to protect my deposit within 30 days (he took over 6 months) and is now holding my deposit without returning it at the tenancy end. He is claiming damage (which we dispute) but has not returned any proportion of it. How do we get the deposit back - are we entitled to compensation?
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Technically speaking under S.212 - 215 of the Housing Act*****would be obligated to order repayment of the deposit and compensation of three times the value of the deposit (S.214(4)) for his failure to properly bond the deposit. If you want to pursue him for this you would have to sue him - I would recommend writing to him and saying:- He has failed to comply with his obligations under the Housing Act;- He has not bonded the deposit in time;- If he does not return the deposit you reserve the write to pursue you all avenues open to you including suing him in the county court;- I would say to him that under S.214(4) of the Housing Act*****would be obligated to award you three times the deposit in damages for his failure to comply.I look forward to hearing from you.Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you