How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner and I are separating ( we have never married )

This answer was rated:

My partner and I are separating ( we have never married ) and wish to sell the house.
In 2012 we signed a Declaration of Trust agreeing that I own 90% of the property and he owns 10%. He is now demanding a much larger share of the house sale proceeds.
I do not agree to his demands.
Can you advise how I stand in this matter ? Also how to proceed if he refuses to sell and won't move out ?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you in England or Wales?-Has your intention or agreement changed since 2012?-Do you have children together, if so what is their age and arrangements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in England
No intention or agreement change since 2012
We have no children together
Thank you. Despite what he is requesting, as long as the deed of trust has been signed and executed correctly then tit will be legally binding and he will only be entitled to 10% of the proceeds of sale. The deed of trust will need to be produced should he pursue the matter to court.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you