How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Someone has tried possesary title on land my late father

Customer Question

Someone has tried for a possesary title on land my late father owned. Land registry has refused them title, but has also refused title to our family we have proof it was willed to my grandfather and on his death in 1919, we have a letter from the solicitor that they would keep the deeds on behalf of my grandmother however the solicitors have lost the deeds. The land has not been used much since my father passed away 30 years ago, except for a couple of game keepers that kept ferrets and dogs up to about 8 years ago,we have been approached about selling the land as this person and a lot of local people know that my father owned it. We are really annoyed that a person has tried to claim the land, this was thrown out as he lied on his Statutory declaration form that he maintains the land, when a site inspection took place they could clearly see that wasn't true. This person walks on the land every couple of weeks according to a neighbour, I would like to know our legal position in this matter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do you have a written decision from the Land Registry as to why (a) they rejected this persons claim (b) why they rejected your claim. In theory if no one owns the land it is escheated back to the crown - if you can get the Land Registry to admit it has passed bona vacantia to the crown then you can approach the Treasury Solicitor and get them to back up your claim and apply to potentially re register it in your name. Has the land been fenced off or secured by you in anyway?