How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I act as a landlord to my flatmate, who brought in

Customer Question

I act as a landlord to my flatmate, who brought in her exboyfriend, I agreed he can stay there for one week now. He is refusing to leave. I had argument with flatmate and how she is also refusing to leave and to pay the rent.
so, her boyfriend is actually a squatter. Can I just get his stuff out (safe place) and change the locks and dont let either of them in.. ?
I spoke to police and they said I can change the locks.
There is no written agreements between my now exbest friend and me. He BF needs to go asap as he is hugely influencing her in her decisions. I believe she would be willing to pay the rent (APril and May) had he not been there...
Please help as I need to evict him this weekend.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. I need more information from you about the situation. What sort of agreement is it that you have with your friend. Is she a lodger. ie paying for a room in a house but with no part of the house that is exclusively hers, or is she a tenant paying rent for some part of the property that is exclusively hers? Is the boyfriend staying as her guest?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, first of all thank you for your response. I do work for a law firm myself but I dont want my colleagues to get involved.There is no written or verbal agreement, she has been staying there on and off for quite some time. I have lived there for over 13 years as tenant my own.
She is helping me towards the rent, she has a room. The property has living room and kitchen, she has no exclusive access to it but she is using it.
Her boyfriend is a notorious trouble maker - no job for 10 years, owes cca 10k to his prev landlord, spent money on prostitutes etc... so you understand that I have to get rid of him urgently and of her as well.
He isnt really a guest... I agreed to 1 week so he can find new accommodation but he is refusing and he is threatening me that if I cick him out he will report me to the police for assulting my flatmate, which by the way is not true she injured me when we had argument, I reported this to the police last weekend with pictures of injury she caused me (long nails deep skin wounds).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I get their personal items out of the property but in the safe place, will I be committing a criminal offence...?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Are you allowed to sub let under your own tenancy? Does she pay the same amount each week/month etc?