How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter has been made homeless and the council have deemed

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been made homeless and the council have deemed after appeal that she has intentionally made herself homeless.
She has 2 children and the council and social services have refused to help! They have said that the children may have to go into foster care.
The children have been put with their dad on temporary basis because of the treat to put them into care.
My daughter and her partner are now sleeping on my sofa is their anything she can do to get housed with her children?
Kind Regards,
Shaun Hope.
Hi, thank you for your question. When did she become homeless and what reasons are they stating to support intentionality?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She became homeless yesterday.
Rent arrears caused by my daughters partner who broke his leg so had no income. When he went back to work he offered the landlord £800 cash and to pay extra each month to make up the shortfall. This was declined by the landlord so no further payment were made. Unfortunately my daughter was naïve and did not contact the council to let them know the situation. Therefore she was evicted due to unpaid rent it was documented in the councils review of the case that the landlord had refused the £800 payment as this was not the full amount.
Thank you. Has a review regarding intentionality definitely been submitted?The Local Authority have a duty to provide short term accommodation for up to 28 days if the children are in her care.If all appeals fail then she will be referred to Children's Services for assistance - this does not necessarily mean that the children are going to be places in foster care.In the circumstances I would suggest you attempt to find a local housing solicitor to assist in appealing against the decision as this will likely be more effective than doing it yourself. You can find local Solicitors here: the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Hi, I note you have left a negative rating. Please could you confirm what you are not happy about so that I can provide you with all the information you require to resolve this matter.
My name is ***** ***** that in fact the Appeal process has already been used and the chidlren are with their father.I am sorry but the news is not goodThe fact that there were rent arrears is an open and shut case so far as intentionally homeless is concerned and there is no way around it.As you have already told us the chidlren are with their father so Social Services will not interveneThat being the case the ONLY option is to find another property to rent - difficult given the lack of references.Your local Housing Support service may have details of possible options and you can find them via Shelter hesitate to say it but your daughter will have a better chance if she is on her own.I am desperately sorry that the news is not better - please ask if you need further details
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you