How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I had a flat tyre on the motorway RAC recovery man put this

Customer Question

I had a flat tyre on the motorway RAC recovery man put this on back to front as it would not fit over the callipers. Got to garage a flat tyre turned into a cost of £500.00 pounds from grinding against these parts. RAC have accepted liability saying they will refund costs and refund my membership.
My main concern was my safety in the vehicle whilst driving with a ill fitting wheel I even stopped and asked him if everything was ok, but he insisted we keep going. The mechanics could not believe what they were seeing and kept repeating how dangerous and life threatening it was to have been driving the car.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. This does sound as if it was a major safety issue arising from a company holding itself out to be an expert in roadside recovery and vehicle. What would you like to achieve from the RAC? Further compensation? An apology? A change to their future procedures? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compensation, I was in shock to be told by the untold members of the garage how dangerous it really was. What would be the best way to go about this?
What kind of solicitor would you recommend to take this further. Also in relations to cost would the expense of taking this further be outweighed by winning a case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been looking on the internet and am unsure what field this case would fall into..would it be a motor case?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. The problem is you not actually suffered any other loss other than the £500 (that they offered to repay). A court will only award actual losses you can prove. If you want further compensation for their failings, then I would recommend you complain to the Financial Ombudsman. The FoS can award compensation taking into account matters a court will not. The RAC have a complaints procedure in place and if the matter is not dealt with satisfactorily then the FoS does have jurisdiction to adjudicate on complaints regarding the RAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is this thread open for? Is it just a one off payment for the day?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I believe you have made a one off payment for the question (you may need to confirm this with customer services). I am happy to continue responding until you are satisfied that you have all the information you need. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I have taken the matter up with the RAC who have been apologetic and since but the issue of my safety is what I want to be compensated for- completely reckless decision made. Would you advise to speak to the RAC and further negotiate compensation for this? What would be the best way to discuss the issue?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I would advise lodging a further complaint to RAC - and if they do not deal with this adequately complain to the Ombudsman. I think court action will be a waste of time and money - courts do not have the power to award compensation for these circumstances - you would have had to actually suffered a loss.