How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

We are in a year tenancy agreement which began Feb 2016.

Customer Question

Hello we are in a year tenancy agreement which began Feb 2016. The neighbouring property has just begun 4-month works to build a large extension for which we were given no notice. They do have planning. I work shifts and cannot sleep as a result. Is there a way to end this tenancy this situation is unlivable and I am frustrated our landlord has given no notice whatsoever and that for 4 months of a 12 month tenancy we will be living with excessive construction noise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Have you checked if your tenancy agreement has an early-break clause?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will look into this but in the meantime I would like advice on what obligations if any the landlord has to advise us of such works.This is a very unliveable situation given the extent of the works being an entire extension on the home next door and given that this will take place for 4 months' of a 12-month tenancy I would like to understand what options I may have
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the landlord cannot be held responsible for the neighbour's works on that property and they have no obligation to disclose plans by third parties on property other than the one you are renting.If there is a break clause, it will allow you to give notice that usually expires by 6 months allowing you to leave then. If there is no break clause then you can attempt to reach agreement with the landlord to end the tenancy - if there is mutual agreement you can end the tenancy at anytime. I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.