How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am going through a divorce, I am the respondent, I'm not

Customer Question

I am going through a divorce, I am the respondent, I'm not disputing the divorce, but we are not agreeing on the financial issues, we had 1 session of mediation together, not heard anything since Nov 2015, recently got a letter advising if I have no further instructions ex has instructed matter to court if I don't respond in 14 days. I have not responded to this letter, can he do this? If so what will happen will it cost me court fees also?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Either of you will be able to proceed the matter to court if mediation or voluntary negotiations regarding the finances reaches a standstill. Sometimes it is useful for a financial application to be with the court so that there is a strict timeframe to deal with the matter, which you cannot have with voluntary negotiations and mediation.If your ex does take the matter to court, each party is to solely bear their own costs and the court will make costs orders against the other in circumstances such as if there is an intentional delay by the party in the proceedings or if there is non-compliance with court orders. I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.