How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been served a speeding NIP. However it took 45 days

This answer was rated:

I have been served a speeding NIP.
However it took 45 days to arrive.
Do I fill in all the details and request a court hearing, or do I send a letter explaining.
I don't believe the enforcement unit can stop the action so is the court request my only course of action.
The car was fully registered in my name.
Are you the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Does it say reminder on there anywhere?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is just a standard NIP.
It does not state reminder at all
Were you stopped at the scene?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was a fixed camera on motorway.
And it alleges speeding?The DVLA have the correct address for you and your car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's the correct details
Is this for an offence of speeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is.
In that case, on the face of it, they are time barred. They have to issue a NIP within 14 days either verbally or by post. They have not. However, it is important to respond naming the driver. The NIP has to be within 14 days but that doesn't discharge your S172 responsibilities. If you do not name the driver then they will charge you with failing to identify. That is probably what they are hoping you will do. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in this case as I name the driver do I then request a court hearing as the other option is to accept the fix penalty which I do not wish to do.
Yes if you are prepared to go to court.Name the driver, reject the fixed penalty and wait for the summons. If they do summons then argue they are time barred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not give you any other option either court or accept the fixed penalty.
Will I need a solicitor in court if they summons, or can I use solicitor in court
Are you sure this isn't a fixed penalty offer then rather than a nip?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It definitely says notice of intended prosecution.
Does it contain an offer of a fixed penalty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does.
Is there any chance you could scan it and attach it to a post so we can ascertain exactly what it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you can view that
I can only see one page of that but that isn't an offer. That is just a NIP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that's everything
Ok. They are combining the two. I suppose they are free to do that.If you ignore it though they will probably make a fresh offer.Their game is to get you to ignore it so that they can charge you with failing to identify.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you