How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50154
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have photos of our now grown up children as children. One

This answer was rated:

I have photos of our now grown up children as children. One child wants to use the photos of the second child (of him as a child) in a film. The second child want nothing to do with it.
I took the photos so probably have the copyright. But can child b refuse? I am fed up with both.
Please help
I don't blame you! Who took the photographs?
Sorry, I've just realised you are in Scotland.i will move this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the photos and we are in England?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean we are in England and photos taken in england
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still in contact?
I thought your post above said you were in Scotland?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No if I did sorry, def England
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. As you took the photos you indeed own the copyright. However, there would be a further issue with the fact that individuals are in these photos, which means that they could have additional rights under data protection regulations. There is no explicit right to privacy in the UK, so if they are identifiable from the photos they could try and argue that this amounts to personal data about them and such data should not be used for any other purposes than for which they were taken. In this case they could try and argue that these were for personal use, not for public use such as being used in a film. In these circumstances you would require the person’s consent so if they withhold their consent the photo should not be used. However, you also have to think whether they can do anything about it. Breach of data protection only gives someone the right to claim if they have suffered any losses as a result and being featured in a film is unlikely to cause actual losses so he may have his rights breached but the chances of him being able to legally challenge it would be minimal. So you have to reach a compromise one way or another. The safer option would be to state that the photos cannot be used as his consent has not been obtained, on the other hand allowing their use will unlikely result in any legal issues. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50154
Experience: Qualified Solicitor
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you