How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35063
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Mother has received a sum of money left to her which is

This answer was rated:

My Mother has received a sum of money left to her which is approximately 52k.
My Mother has no estate of any real value (below 5K and lives in rented accommodation).
My Mother would like to make a gift to me (her son) of 5k and her 2 adult grand daughters also of 5k each (total 15k).
Would this be subject to any taxes?
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstHow old is your mother and is she likely to need Residential Care in the future?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Claire,My mother is 78 years old and is currently living in sheltered accommodation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mobile number ***********
Are you aware that the Site charges more for telephone calls?How is her current accommodation funded?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The current accommodation is funded via the local council.
Your Mother is free to make these gifts - and there are no Tax implications involved.However the Local Authority will see this as "voluntary disposition" of assets and will always include the sum when assessing her eligibility for Financial supportI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you