How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a warrant issued due to failure to appear. Can I

Customer Question

I have a warrant issued due to failure to appear. Can I speak to the police to arange to hand myself in when I return from business meeting? To stop them turning up on my doorstep as I do not want my flat mate knowing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What did you fail to appear for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was due to appear for sentencing however due to depression and mental health I didn't and my gp will give a medical note The warrant ws issued on Monday.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but that is not likely to be considered reasonable excuse. It is not as simple as showing that you were unwell. To be excused you need a sick note that actually says unfit for court. Depression does not render a person unfit for court. People attend court with depression all the time.You can hand yourself in to the local court. That would be far better than handing yourself into a police station. I would do it on Monday though before the police act.Sorry but you have to be realistic.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo