How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7046
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

Royalty / Copyright:I want to use movie content online by

Customer Question

Royalty / Copyright:
I want to use movie content online by adding signing for the deaf within the picture.
I don't want to be a pirate, so how do I go about using copyright content legally and, at a reasonable cost?
My adjusted content would not be freely available, it would be available only to subscribers, so the audience would be small / measurable.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
You need to approach whoever owns the copyright to the film.Usually this is the producers /studio but at the end of each film in the credits it will say.I would then use Google to get a contact address and go from there. They musyt get many such requests to use copyrighted material they own so I do not anticipate you will have much trouble tracking down who to ask.Your proposed service is a wonderful idea and of course brings their product new publicity and a new audience so , hopefully, they will be modest in respect of any charge made.I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respondBest wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. If it were simply using music from anyone, I can contact PRS and get a license, its easy. Trying to find out how to legally use other peoples movie / tv footage and how to contact a suitable body it tricky. It seems if I use it, they'll find me but unless you are a broadcasting giant this contact information or legal route is far more obscure. I have emailed what appear to be content owners in the past but I am clearly not a priority for them so nothing comes back, not even a divert to the right department. I had hoped the legal approach or method was more organised than trying to pick the bones out of the end credits of a tv programme, I guess I'll have to keep looking for an answer.