How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I approached my union about an employment situation and

This answer was rated:

Hi I approached my union about an employment situation and they got me to fill out a form seeking legal advice? After lots of delays I got a reply in writing from someone in the union the advice was grossly flawed and spelling mistakes etc. Also stating I had no case. I complained about the advice and asked what solicitor wrote this. The reply would not tell me and the letter first said legal advisor, solicitor and then finally lawyer. I don't think this has been looked at all and if so grossly wrong. I have complained to the union because my insurance has accepted my case along with a high ranking solicitor that I have a very strong case. I have received a answer to my complaint with comments like "you raided x number of points and we are not answering as they are unclear and your opinion". Also stating the as they call it now the "legal advice" between unison and the solicitors is confidential and refuse me to see it.
My question is surely if a solicitor is approached under someone's name and situation then surely they have a right to see it I had to sign the forms requesting advice. Surely I have every right to see it?
Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Just to be lear, who instructed the Solicitor, you or Unison?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had to fill in a legal advice form which I handed to the union who in turn alegedly handed it to a solicitor. This service is part of my monthly fees i pay to the union

Thanks. Do you have any contract direct with the Solicitor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I was thinking under data protection. Could I not just request it as it has my name on it and it's about me?

Ok - I was just thinking whether you are entitled to a copy under any retainer or privilege. But under the DPA you are entitled to documents which relate to you.Therefore you should ask for a copy of documents under the DPA. They have 40 days to provide them, failing which you are entitled to complain and seek advice from the Information Commissioner at; I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** trying to think any reason they could refuse and they can't. I assume it will prove one thing if the legal advice was ever sought. Under the dpa should I ask for any emails about me as well at the same time?

Yes I would.Does that clarify?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you