How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

We have two tenants (boyfriend and girlfriend) of a rented

This answer was rated:

We have two tenants (boyfriend and girlfriend) of a rented property. They have now split up and one party has left the house. The remaining party asked us for permission to change the locks for her own security. Our AST says any request to change the locks should not be 'unreasonably withheld' . However, if we gave permission are we then at risk of not allowing the other party 'lawful access and to enjoy the property'? Feels like we are caught in the middle of the two of them. If we say 'no' to the request and the female tenant is confronted by her 'ex' inside the house, are we then at risk of putting her safety as risk?
Hi, thank you for your question. Just to confirm, are they both on the tenancy agreement as tenants?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they are both named on the AST
Thanks for confirming. As they are both on the tenancy you should not be changing the locks as this will be unlawful and she could claim damages against you for unlawful eviction. If the boyfriend feels at risk it will be for him to obtain a court order formally excluding the girlfriend from the property and then he can change the locks.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - i just want to clarify that the female tenant has asked us for permission for her to change the locks, rather than asking us to change them. does that make any difference?
The female tenant remains in the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, she is in still in the property - it is her boyfriend who has moved out.
Thanks - unless there is a court order or written consent from the boyfriend I would suggest you do not agree to it as it could leave you open to a claim as legally he still has a right to occupy the property as he remains named as a tenant.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great - thank you. Thats really helpful.
Thank you - I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris