How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a debt with HSBC in Hong Kong which, I have been previously

This answer was rated:

I have a debt with HSBC in Hong Kong which, I have been previously advised via Justanswer, cannot be enforced in UK, where I now live, because the contract is subject to Hong Kong Law. HSBC in HK have now transferred the debt to HSBC UK which in turn has baptised the debt to a UK debt collection agency. Do they have jurisdiction to enforce this?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.I think I dealt with this. Remind me, the jurisdiction of the contract was Hong Kong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.


They can chase it here in the UK, but they cant take it to Court for the reasons we discussed before.There is no jurisdiction Act or agreement that allows them to issue proceedings in the UKCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. I was concerned that if they had sold the debt from HSBC HK to HSBC UK it might become a UK matter but I guess the contract is still an HK contract and unenforceable in UK. So they can harass me with letters and phone calls but not get the bailiffs in - correct?

No. It would go back to enforcement of a HK contract.Can't be done. They cant get bailiffs in, you are correct.Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you