How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sister receives working tax credit and child tax credits.

This answer was rated:

my sister receives working tax credit and child tax credits. She has a boyfriend and recently got engaged. They do not live together. However, she does stay at his house Friday night, Saturday, staturday night, sunday. She has one child aged 11.
My question is - what constitutes my sister living with someone and needing to inform HMRC. Is it if she stays at his house more than one night? two nights? more? or if he stays at hers' more than one night? etc.
Thankyou for your help.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but i need some further informtaion firstDoes your sister retain her own home - and is it just two nights a week they spend together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes she owns her own home. Yes is usually just two nights a week they spend together. He can prove by providing bill receipts that he lives somewhere else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there still.
Whilst there is no specific definition of Cohabitation the fact that they both have homes where they live and spend only two nights a week togethermeans that at present they are not viewed as living together.If he has no separate address because he works away that would change mattersI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much. I think that has answered my question.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you