How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner and I have had a long distance on off relationship

Customer Question

My partner and I have had a long distance on off relationship for over 10 years. We are both British but he resides in Zurich and I live and work in England. 2 years ago we had a daughter He wanted to be involved as much as possible and came over once a month to take care of her for a few days(he is currently unemployed but has restrictions on how often he can visit the Uk). In his absence ,both our parents helped me out with childcare. 2 months ago it became apparent that was not enough. He offered to look after her in Zurich temporarily whilst I worked and commuted to fulfil my maternal responsibilities.We were getting on well, he seemed to take good care of her and so I was persuaded that it was good for my daughter as she would see more of her father and crucially more of her mother and father together.
Inorder for her to goto nursery there she needed to be registered and this required me to sign to confirm that her father was now her carer and she would stay in zurich until such time that we both decided she would return. I was told I could not specify a time period but in any case it did not affect my maternal rights.
She has been in Zurich for six weeks now. I was travelling to see her every 4-5 days to care for her on my days off, staying at his flat. Things were going really well until last week when he suddenly told in an email the day before my flight , to not turn up on this occasion, that he was taking my daughter out of Zurich, that he did not want me staying in his flat anymore, and that we would have to discuss the terms of when I could see her on their return. He refused to let me Skype with my daughter, ignored my calls ,refused to tell me ,his family or friend in UK where he had gone.
I was forced to get a hotel and spent the friday despretly contacting solicitors for advice. No real luck as it was bank holiday weekend there.
He has 'run away,and stonewalled' before during our relationship, but this is the first time he has done this ,since birth, and with our daughter. I am worried and concerned at this behaviour and deeply regretting this agreement. The residency papers have only recently
been submitted.He is currently withholding information from me so I don't have the paperwork ,he has. I believed we had trust and understanding. Clearly something has changed on his part,and I need to get my daughter back to England ,back with her family life here . I have no idea what my legal position is or how I should go about things. Grateful for any advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. In the circumstances you should urgently contact the International Child Abduction and Contact Unit (ICACU). They can assist you with either returning your daughter to England or to assist with contact in Switzerland.The process, form and address to submit can be found here: hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.