How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was renting a room from a sulbrenter and we had an

This answer was rated:

I was renting a room from a sulbrenter and we had an agreement that I will deal with one spare room which was rented out to airbnb clients. I was paying rent £380 every month and had a deposit of £200. I moved out on the 16th but had paid up front for the whole month already which i lived in for 2 weeks. This was in the agreement that i can give 14 days notice. He was suppose to pay me back for the two weeks which i had paid already but am not living in anymore plus deposit. Now he claims that since i didint accept 2 bookings worth £200 from Airbnb app, this is taken off from my deposit plus the rent i paid up front. Can he do that?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Did you sign an agreement at any point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did. Where was written about extra obligation which was dealing with airbnb clients. But I cant see anything written about financial responsibilities.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thanks for your patience. If there was no specific contractual obligation on you to accept rentals or to be made financially responsible for the missed rental potential, the landlord cannot really start charging you for this or deduct it from your deposit. If he does then you will be able to consider taking the matt further and pursue him for the money he has withheld. There are a couple of ways you could do that. First of all, if you had your deposit protected with a Deposit Protection Scheme you could use them to try and resolve this. If there was no deposit protection you have the option of going to the small claims court to pursue this. It is a relatively low risk option if you wanted to use it.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should you decide to make a claim against them, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.