How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

There Myself and my partner separated (unmarried and

Customer Question

Hi there
Myself and my partner separated (unmarried and no children) 18 months ago. We jointly own a property which has c£7k equity and we recently agreed that I would buy her out for £3,500.
I first made an offer to her last June which was ignored, I followed up with mediation which she failed to respond to and I subsequently made a court application. Upon receiving the court order my ex partner then responded to say she would settle outside of court which I was happy to do and I subsequently cancelled the hearing.
I have made arrangements for the mortgage, instructed a solicitor to do the conveyancing and the form TR1 has now been sent to my ex partner for her signature, she has failed to reply or acknowledge this and I am wondering what my options are.
I just want this resolved now, I do not want to remain financially tied and I feel like I have done everything possible to resolve this but with no result. I don't know what my options are - I could reschedule the court hearing but I am not sure what this would achieve? We have agreed on the sum and all I need her to do is physically sign the TR1. Any help would be appreciated - I fell like my hands are tied and its so frustrating!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-What order did the court make?-Is there a further hearing listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies if I wasn't clear - the application to the court was made under part 8 of the CPR. The court issued a 'Notice of Issue' and subsequently issued a 'Notice of hearing'. The claim never got to the hearing as we agreed on a settlement sum between ourselves so I agreed to cancel the hearing on the basis that there was nothing for the court to decide.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to get a court to enforce an agreement that has been reached via email?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - in the circumstances you will have to restore proceedings and ask for a hearing to be listed. If the application has been formally withdrawn you will need to submit a new application.The email agreement can be used as evidence of her intention and agreement to sell.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not feel that you have answered my question. I asked what rescheduling the hearing would achieve - in light of the fact that an agreement has been reached. The problem is not the agreement it is the non-signing of the TR1 form to complete matters. What are my options - if you are saying court what is it I should apply for and under what act?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Rescheduling the hearing will allow the court to consider the agreement, and in the absence of her signing the TR1 herself, a judge can do it.Your matter will be considered under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996