How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I rented my house out while i was working n sri lanka.

Customer Question

i rented my house out while i was working n sri lanka. 6 months assured shorthold lease,
with three months extended. i came back to find the house and quite a bit of the artwork
completely trashed. i took pictures, and retained the tenants deposit - the damages were
extensive and cost far more than the deposit to replace and/or repair. the tenant started
a county court case to recover his deposit. i sent in my defense.
i just received a letter from the county court that "due to the respondent not entering a
defense" a judgement will be made for the claimant.
what can i do to prevent this happening? the deposit was £1700. i have spent - so far -
£3600. on repairs to the property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Did you protect the deposit please? Was it an assured shorthold tenancy?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first sentence of my query states that it was an assured shorthold lease - the fact that you are asking me this question sets up a lack of trust in your skills. i have just paid £47 for legal advice, but you missed a major point in my question! i am not at all sure i want to continue with this service