How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Good afternoon very long story so I shall try to be concise. Right

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
very long story so I shall try to be concise.
Right my problem is that I am a carer and have worked for the same person for over 13 years and on a self employed capacity since june 2004
This gentleman has a learning disability and he has been a prominent member of my family for all of these years. I took him everywhere I went, weddings parties holidays as a member of my family. His name is ***** ***** was for all of these years on a payment system called Direct Pay. Mark requires 24 hour care and our relationship was close.
Suddenly I had a falling out with Marks father and in a nutshell social services decided to move agency in for Mark but I was told it was just for a rest as I have been at work since October 24/7.
I left the house handed over my key. Now Marks Father says that Agency are taking over permanently I said fine but what about my belongings?
Marks dad is refusing me access to Marks to collect my belongings Stereo, coffee table, leather dining chairs even the sofa chair footstool we purchased we have receipts and I have phoned the police but the advise they gave to me isn't easy to carry out on account of everybody hiding behind the vulnerable adult and telling me its nothing to do with them. His social worker, the current care provider, and his dad will not talk to me to attempt resolution
What is your advice?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, my name is Jayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your advise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anybody their?
Hello. Apologies for the slight delay. Please can you tell me if you have ever had a contract or written agreement to provide care for Mark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think so stupid I know
OK not to worry and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thanks for your patience. The legal position is that these are obviously going to be your belongings and as such you are entitled to get them back. The issue is that no one can force them to hand these over or to allow you to collect them. If they really wanted to they could keep hold of them or even dispose of them. Should this happen, you would instead have the option of pursuing them for compensation and making a claim in the small claims court to get compensated for the value of these items. One problem there is that you would only get compensated up to their current value, so you will not het an amount to reflect a brand new item, or get extra compensation if it had sentimental value. So you have to consider how much these items were worth in their current state and if it is worth pursuing it further. Of course court is a last resort and there are a couple of things you can do to try and pressure them into reconsidering their position but if they refuse then court is the only option left in the circumstances.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow to take this matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.