How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49851
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I bought a van with a valid MOT that runs out 5th June, I had

This answer was rated:

I bought a van with a valid MOT that runs out 5th June, I had a mechanic look at it for me, and said it should not have passed a MOT with the adviseries. so he carried out work on it,that He said was needed without taking it to a garage for a pre MOT. And it failing. He has charged me £2626 for the work done. I have since had 2 independant mechanics look at the old MOT and said the work he has done on the van Didn't need doing. Where do I stand with this
Hello do I understand correctly that you have been misled about the work that is needed in the van?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my options
Just o clarify are you saying that you were misled by the garage into having work don which was not actually necessary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original mot that came with the van had advisories, the garage instead of taking it for a pre mot then seeing what it failed on then giving me the option to have the option to have the work done 2 independent mechanics said he should have given me an mot to look at
Thank you. In the circumstances you could try and argue that the garage has misled you into what work was needed and has needlessly carried out work, which you ended up being charged for. As they would have likely done some work which was required you are unlikely to be able to claim all of the money back but can try and pursue them for the proportion of the work which was unnecessary or overcharged. In order to try and resolve this the following steps should be followed:· You need to try and resolve the matter with the garage directly to start with· Check if the garage is part of the Motor Codes, which means it must adhere to certain standards and practices ( You can then use their complaints procedure to try and resolve this· You have the option of going to the Consumer Ombudsman – a free and impartial service which can make a binding decision (· If all else fails you can take this to the small claims court to pursue them for compensation for the unnecessary works. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should you decide to take this down the legal route, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.