How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am a discharged bankrupt. Bankruptcy started from 3rd Feb

This answer was rated:

I am a discharged bankrupt. Bankruptcy started from 3rd Feb 2014. I have now been assigned the cause of action back to me from my OT, in order to take the directors of a company that owes me money. I have now issued the claim in court and served it on the defendants for damages of misrepresentation to get me to sign a settlement deed that offered me no money. They verbally promised to repay me in early 2014. I have evidence that a verbal deal was made, but the settlement itself includes no payment clauses. My guess is that they will come back with a counter claim for the their legal bill that they ran up in court of £72K for 1 hearing back in 2013.
My question is if I lose this case and excepted to pay the defendants legal bill can I just make myself bankrupt.
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. They cannot counter claim for their legal costs as a relevant factor in the proceedings any way. If they are owed legal costs this will only be because of a costs already made. If you do have a costs order against you and you cannot payment, then yes in theory you could declare bankruptcy again. Can I assist you any further? Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you