How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50179
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We have had our house renovated we have already

This answer was rated:

we have had our house renovated we have already paid 23 thousand however from the start it has been stressfull when the estimate was given all that was listed was the price not what they would do this was verbally with the joiner we were told they would paint the first coat of the house which is not done but since then our fridge did not fit the new kitchen which they designed tiles have been broken to make it fit a side door was supposed to be hung again not done so we have held back the last money of 2,500 and told the joiner if these things are not finished we will employ someone else with the money that we owe them we have been so nieve are we allowed to do this
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
What would you like to know about this specifically please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am I by law allowed to hold back the final 2.500 and use to finish the renovations with another joiner
Are they prepared to rectify the issues?
Hello, not sure if you saw my follow up query above - Are they prepared to rectify the issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello ben
sorry didn't get back but in answer to your reply NO they said it isn't going to happen
Thank you for getting back to me. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed). In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved. If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights: 1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience. 2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work. 3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader. So if they have refused to carry out the remedial works you are now left with no other option but to get someone else to do this and charge the original tradesman for that work. Therefore, if you are holding some money which you should have paid on completion of the works, you can withhold it in order to pay for the remedial works to be undertaken by someone else. After all they have failed in their duty to you and as such have no finished the job as required so are not entitled to be paid the full amount. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you