How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35091
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can you advise if there are any privacy rights parents

This answer was rated:

Can you advise if there are any privacy rights for birth parents please?
I gave a child up for adoption 20 years ago and now he is trying to contact me via a trace company. I will not go into the traumatic circumstances of the surrounding the situation, but I do not wish to have any contact.
I have received one letter asking for confirmation that I am the person they are looking for (details of my year and place of birth and my address at the time of adoption), and have a special delivery letter waiting for me at the post office that I suspect is from the same company. Are this company allowed to pass on details if I reply and confirm that I am the person they are looking for but do not wish to be contacted, and/or are they allowed to pass on my details if I do not reply. I'm not sure if this is family law related, or if it's more to do with data protection etc. Thank you.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.The Company are allowed to pass on your details to their client if you respond positively.However if they (or anyone else) persist in trying to contact you against your will then is is harassment and can be reported to the police.I suggest that you write to the company and say that any further attempt at contact will be reported.Should someone contact you directly then you can report it to the police since you have made it clear such contact is unwelcomePlease ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So in my response should I confirm that I am the person they are looking for but any further contact will be reported, or not confirm either way and just say that no further attempts at contact should be made?
I would take the second option
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you