How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My nephew and I inherited my late mothers house. He has lived

This answer was rated:

My nephew and I inherited my late mothers house. He has lived in the property for the past 2 years running up several debts. He refuses to sell the property, and the house is falling into disrepair. I am concerned that as one of the executors of the will I will be liable to pay his debts, and I can't sell the house
Hi, thank you for your question. Has the property formally passed to you both and has your late mother's estate been settled now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. As the property is in joint names between you and if you cannot reach agreement to sell the property, you will need to apply to your local civil court to force a sale of the property. This can be done under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (TOLATA) using Form N1 and a £355 court fee.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you