How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Im trying to retrieve funds form my late mothers post office

This answer was rated:

im trying to retrieve funds form my late mothers post office savings account. It was in the name of both my step-father and mother. My step father passed away 6ys ago and my mother didn't tell me about this account she passed away in January. There is a problem with the post office recognising my mothers identity. The name she was born with was Margaret but everyone including myself knew her as rita. Her death cert says rita but post office refuse to accept this. Can a lawyer help?
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstDid you not inform the Registrar that h er birth name was Margaret?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No at the time I didn't think to say Margaret to be honest my mistake I know
Do you have any evidence that she used both names?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an old p60 form with both names nothing else
Have you sent that to the Post Office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want a solicitors letter I presume stating that the names refer to the same person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't as yet but what would a solicitor be able to do to convince them?
A Solicitor can just write a letter confirming that they have evidence that the documents refer to the same person.They can also be blamed if it turns out not to be true!An alternative is to attend the Registrar and amend the death certificatePlease ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you