How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50198
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have lost 10500 pounds due to EE disconnecting my old

This answer was rated:

I have lost 10500 pounds due to EE disconnecting my old number and having to wait a month for them to reconnect it.
I was told several times by EE it would take 24 hours.
They even told the staff in the phone shop more than once it would take 24 hours.
All my contacts and business cards have the number that they cut off resulting in jobs that would have earn me the above price.
Can someone ease help as their neglect and appalling customer service has lost me money I will never get back.
They have an appalling record and I want to sue them for damages and loss of earnings
Yours sincerely
***** *****
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Please can you tell me how long you have been with EE. Please can you also tell me a little bit more about the disconnection and reconnection of your line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for your request. I am unable to talk at the moment but if you provide the information requested, I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. We may then be able to speak. Please do not respond to this message after you have provided the information as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With orange for approx 20 yrs.
Asked to transfer to their sister company EE with original number.
Orange said a new sim and number would be sent and to call EE to switch back to old number.
Sim was disconnected and then had to go into a phone shop to get a sim and get them to activate it with a different number.
EE stated more than once and on separate occasions to the staff in phone shop it would only take 2 to 24 hours to reconnect old number.
Phone call after phone call and nothing for three weeks.two days ago I finally! got old number back. The stress and loss of earnings is due to their neglect and have now lost jobs worth 10500 pounds and would like compensating as it is down to their appalling customer service.
The girl in the phone shop said it takes normally a couple of hour to switch the numbers and she even rang on separate days to my old number to see if it had been switched back.
Many thanks for your patience. You could indeed argue that due to their negligence you have suffered losses which you wish to pursue them for. You would need to show the following to be able to do this:• That they were negligent either in the first place for disconnecting you, or for failing to reconnect you within a reasonable period of time.• That the negligence has resulted in the losses you ate trying to claim• That such losses were reasonably foreseeable – basically that what you lost is something which could have been expected as a result of the negligent act• That you tried to mitigate your losses as much as possible – you need to look at whether there were things you could have done to try and reduce these losses as much as possible, could you have communicated the new number to potential or existing clients somehow, etc So this is what a court would look at when determining a potential claim. Of course I am not saying that you must go to court but if thee is no resolution through direct complaints and negotiations with the provider, it may have to end up that way. In the first instance you should pursue the company’s own internal complaints procedure to its full completion and only consider the legal route if all else fails.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to take should you have to take the matter down the legal route, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps: 1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter. 2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action. 3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this. Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.