How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the victim of assault. I have been requested to go to

This answer was rated:

I am the victim of assault. I have been requested to go to court by the CPS to give evidence against my husband. I do not want to go. Do I have to go? I no longer want to continue with prosecution but know it is now out of my hands. Can I just ignore the request? Or do I have to inform them. A solicitor has said to just ignore all communication is this correct?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,Did you call the police initially please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were staying in a hotel and the hotel rang police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I subsequently gave a statement that night and my husband was arrested and charged. He has had initial hearing and pleaded not guilty hence a further court date at which I am requested to attend. I do not want to go and do this.
its bad news I am afraid, you are not in control of the prosecution, the CPS are. You have no say in how it is run or even dropped.You can ignore the request from the CPS yes. If you fail to show at Court they could issue you with a witness summons and worse case issue a warrant to attend Court, but this is very rare.But you dont have to respond to the CPS or even give a statement if you wish saying you dont support the prosecution.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Alex
Please can I just clarify that I don't have to respond to the CPS but is it best to send a statement to them saying I don't support the prosecution? Is that what you are saying?
Thank you
No you don't have to respond, but if you do you can say you don't support the prosecution Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you