How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I wish to make a small claims court claim against a company

This answer was rated:

I wish to make a small claims court claim against a company that is registered in Dublin . Am I able to do this myself using the money claim online service even though they are not in the UK . The terms of their business says English law applies.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Please can you tell me if you live in the UK. Please can you also provide some background information on the nature of the claim. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi live in England. I have a dispute with a company called BETDAQ which is a betting company. They are registered in Dublin, but are owned by Ladbrokes who register their online betting business in Gibraltar. My claim is for £2000. I originally had an account with BETDAQ but I have a problem with gambling, so self excluded using their system. They acknowledge I asked for permanent exclusion, but did so for 5 years. After 5 years I reregistered and they accepted my bets again. However there are strict licensing rules now when a customer comes back off a self exclusion under LCCP guidelines. BETDAQ Did not follow any of the rules. I have been to the UK gambling commission and whilst they acknowledge their has been a breach, it is not their function to assist me in getting my money back, they can only sanction the company. Had this been based in the uk I would have used the money online court service, but as they are registered in Dublin I don't know how to proceed. I am more than happy to attend court and put my case.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thank for your patience. There is actually a European Small Claims procedure which you can use if your claim is for up to 2000 euros. I know you are after £2000 but if you are prepared to lower it to 2000 euros then you can use this, which allows you to directly sue a foreign company. More details here: If you wish to stick to the £2000 amount then you will have to go through the UK’s courts and whilst it is possible to sue a foreign company here, any court judgment will only be valid in the UK and if you get a judgment in your favour you will have to transfer the judgment to Ireland to apply it there and try to get your money that way. So the European procedure may be the better option in the circumstances as long as you are prepared to drop the claims amount slightly. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your excellent advice...I had never thought of that..and yes dropping it to 2000 € seems the logical step forward.I will now rate you accordingly.Thanks Ben
Many thanks and all the best