How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm just thinking ahead. If my wife or I went into care

This answer was rated:

I'm just thinking ahead. If my wife or I went into care I understand we'd have to pay until our savings wre down to £23k or something like that. Can we be forced to sell our house to provide more funds for care? Similarly if a pension pot has been put into an annuity I believe that can't be accessed to pay for care but if we go for income drawdown could they force us to use that and effectively exhaust our retirement savings? regards Gavin.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How much is the property worth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare. The property is worth about £750k and we would trade down to about £400k-£450k. regards. Gavin.

Do you have any other assets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apart from pension pots nothing of great scale. Maybe about 50k.

Provided one of you remains in the property then the sale cannot be forced to pay for the care of the other spouse.

Cash funds are indeed vulnerable (or at least those held in the sole name of the spouse in question) but an annuity is indeed safe

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you