How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71039
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband got sentence to suspended imprisonment me.My

This answer was rated:

hi,my husband got sentence to suspended imprisonment for assaulting me.My husband is planning to appeal magistrate sentence.And he has asked me to change my statement when he appeals. He says that he doesnt want criminal record.If i do change my statement will i be charged by the court and will be sentenced
Have you done this before to him or others?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what must i do? should he appeal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have never called the police before to any personal dispute at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope i haven't. and the sentence was only 30hrs building relationship and 20 days rehabilitation
i will not be able to call you as its not safe for me
Well, in fairness, that is a substantial sentence which probably is a waste of time and public money.I suppose you gave evidence last time?Were you summonsed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was called in for witness stand
and i gave my statement as i gave to the police
now if i change that statement if my husband appeals what will happen to me.
If depends what you mean by change your statement.If you give false evidence on oath then that is perjury and people go to prison for that.What you can, of course, do is just not attend. They may summons you. Failing to answer a summons is a contempt of court but it isn't prosecuted. They may seek a witness warrant for your arrest but actually if you have no history of doing this then probably they would not.The only issue though for the future is that if you make reports to the police again then this will be something they will use against you.Also, they may impose a restraining order preventing contact.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did not understand the last part,that if i make future reports to the police what will they use against me and why would they impose restraining order
Because that will be the second time you have done this and they have to justify how public money is spent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i am not able to attend the court for witness stand due to family reasons why should they hold it against me
Because family reasons is not an acceptable excuse.In fairness, it cost a huge amount of taxpayer's money to prosecute these allegations and they have to justify that use. While this is being prosecuted and witnesses don't attend something else could have been in court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but whether i say or not and he goes ahead with appeal and i can't attend even if i want to..they will charge me for that
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like i already gave my statement to the magistrate court and i was able to attend it because i had help but if i cant attend the second one because my husband appeal it.why will they issue witness warrant for my arrest
Well, as I said really, you have made an allegation which has cost the taxpayer. They have to justify the use of public money.They will probably summons.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have even provided them with medical report of the assault , even though it was not presented by the prosecutor
so how is that allegation?
Whether if i want to and i am not able to attend ,what i am going to do now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you so much. if i wish to discuss further how will i reach you