How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My Mothers Partner. Has come into some money ( a little

Customer Question

My Mothers Partner. Has come into some money ( a little ammount ) But enough to buy me a house to live in, on the condition that l will pay rent. As I am classed as ill, would the council be able to pay my Mothers partners rent. With housing benefit ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. You would usually be eligible for housing benefit if you are on a low income or claiming benefits and have savings and capital below £16,000. Furthermore, if you are single and under 35, you can only get housing benefit for bedsit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation.

However, most local authorities will not provide housing benefit if you live in the home of a close relative, so they may assess this, and if you are the only person living in the property and there are spare bedrooms, your housing benefit (if you are assessed as eligible) will be reduced - a 14% reduction if there is one spare bedroom and 25% reduction if there are two or more.

However, I should stress that it is likely that the local authority will likely deem the home to be one of a close relative, but you could of course submit an application and be assessed.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.