How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50210
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

The water board has just decided to collect £7000 from me

This answer was rated:

Hi the water board has just decided to collect £7000 from me it's taken 13 years for them to do this where do I stand?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Have you moved address in this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't ,I got the first letter addressed to me by name 2 months ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are going to send a bailiff or do attachment of earnings they have said.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thanks for your patience. If the water board believes that you owe them money, even from some time back, the can try and pursue you for it further. Whether they can do this will depend on a number of factors. First of all you should consider if the debt is still within time to be pursued. Any debt based on simple contract, such as this one, will have a limitation period of 6 years to be taken to court. This time would run from the date on which the debt was due for payment. O for example if you were sent a bill for the amount on a certain date and there was a payment date due on it, the time will start to run from the date payment was due. Assuming this happened all those years ago the chances are that this debt is now out of time to be pursued. So they are unlikely to be able to make a formal claim in court in order to take it further. In terms of sending bailiffs round or an attachment of earnings order, they can only do this if they have actually already gone to court and successfully obtained judgment in their favour. If they have a formal judgment from court then they can consider one of these enforcement methods. If they have not gone to court, they cannot instruct bailiffs or seek attachment of earnings orders so these are just threats rather than realistic options at this stage. It would then come down again to whether they are still in time to make a claim and if they are outside of the 6 years I mentioned, then they will not be able to claim and in turn instruct bailiffs. Instead they could become guilty of harassment if they continue pursuing you for a debt which they can no longer pursue. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the law on harassment and how you can use it to your advantage in this situation, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had many letters sent but never address to me they have been addressed to the legal occupant which I have thrown away as most letters addressed this way are junk mail. That's my fault I agree. But why haven't they taken me to court after missing one year why have they waited 13 yrs
I have replied on the new question you posted please see there