How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother in law needs to go in a nursing home and has

Customer Question

my mother in law needs to go in a nursing home and has always refused to do power of attorney. how do I actually acess her money and sell her shares to pay for this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,You may need to make an application to court to allow you to deal with the assets.Is your mother able to make her own decisions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
varies day to day
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi, This definitely sounds like a matter for the court of protection. You will need to instruct someone to do this for you as it can become quite complicated.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question My name is ***** ***** i have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.If your mother is refusing to consider a Power of Attorney, or lacks the mental capacity to sign one then you will need to apply to be appointed as her Deputy.You can read about it here is possible to deal with the forms yourself but be aware that they are repetitive!Please ask if you need further detailsClare