How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50149
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Sorry regards ***** ***** again,I meant to ask, if all fails

This answer was rated:

Sorry regards ***** ***** again,I meant to ask, if all fails and they won't listen to me and I make a offer of £50 per month because it's all I can afford and they refuse what should I do?
Hi there, you need to be very careful about how you approach this. If they are out of time to make a claim in court, then there is not much they can do regardless of how many threats they make or what they say they will do. They will simply not be legally able to make the claim, even if you genuinely owed them the debt. However, the time limit to claim can be extended if you were to make a payment towards the debt or acknowledge it in writing. So what could happen is that they may be out of time to pursue this, but then you agree to start making repayments and make these, or you agree that you owe this money in writing and suddenly they have another 6 years from now to pursue you for the full amount. So you could be unwittingly making yourself liable for the full debt when initially you could have avoided paying anything towards it. hat is why it is best not to admit to anything or pay anything and hope that they are simply out of time to pursue this and that they will drop this matter when they eventually realise this. As mentioned, if they continue pursuing this it could eventually amount to harassment, which could be both a civil matter and a criminal one. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions. Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim. In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment. The courts would award compensation to the victim, something that is unlikely to happen if this is pursued as a criminal issue. So in the first instance the police can be contacted and this matter reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the victim can warn the harasser that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you