How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I called the police when my partner assaulted me. I now wish

This answer was rated:

I called the police when my partner assaulted me. I now wish to retract my statement please could you advise on what I need to do. I have contracted the officer dealing with my case and advised her and she said she will contact me to go down and retract but I would just like some advise on what's going to happen.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.When you say retract, does she say she made everything up?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't make everything up but I just do not wish to continue with it. We had a big argument and he put his hands round my neck and I was choking. I had a baby 10 weeks ago and I'm tired and stressed and I no longer wish to continue with my statement
Ok - then you need to give a statement saying you withdraw your support. A retraction is saying it is not true.So you can make an appointment and say you dont support the prosecution.But I should let you know, as soon as you call 999 you have no control over the prosecution. The Police are likely to still continue with this even without your help. They may rely on any photos taken and the 999 call itself.But yes you can make a statement saying you dont support the prosecution.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.So if I make a statement to say I don't support a prosecution and they still continue and I'm asked to go to court can I refuse to give evidence?And without my support is it likely the case would continue?Sorry for all the questions I'm just so worried and stressed. We have two babies together and I just don't have the strength to go through al of this.Thanks
you can refuse to give evidence. The case may still continue depending on what evidence they have.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help
If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you