How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Have had a claim put on mums estate by her common law

Customer Question

Have had a claim put on mums estate by her common law partner he has sent a solicitors letter claiming a fifth of the estate . Saying house is worth 200,00.00 it has never been valued
If I signed can he force sale of home
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. On what basis has he made his claim on your mother's estate? Kind regards AJ
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.If they lived together for more than two years then he does have the right to make a claim against the estate. If he has made a contribution to any alteration or improvement to the house which has enhanced it's value then he has a financial claim on the proceeds of sale of the property.It is for the Executors to deal with the matter if there is a Will - if not then it is down to you and your siblings (if any) to negotiate with her partner.In Order to administer the estate you will need a valuation so that is the first thing to do.You also need to ask the solicitor to justify the claim that is being made How much you may have to pay will depend on how long they have been together and a number of other factors - but yes if he is entitled to a share of the estate you may have to sell the property to pay him - and the sale could indeed be forcedPlease ask if you need further details