How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JustAnswerKM Your Own Question
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 43
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
Type Your Law Question Here...
JustAnswerKM is online now

I have a piece of land jointy owned can i sell my half he

This answer was rated:

I have a piece of land jointy owned can i sell my half he wont sell i owe my mother alot of money could i gift it to her to pay my debt to her as he will not sell the land which is a piece of land
Good evening Thank you for your message, I will do my best to help.If the land is owned as 'joint-tenants' you will need to sever the tenancy (change ownership) to convert to a 'tenancy in common'. Once that is complete, you can then apply to change the register with the Land Registry and have your share of the land in your mother's name as a gift. Please see links below to the official government website with steps on how to sever the tenancy and change the register. Sever the tenancy Change the register Please note that if you want to force a sale, you will need to apply for an Order of sale at your local County Court or High Court if the value of the land is over £50k. I hope that helps.Best of luck,Kind regardsKrystel*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.
JustAnswerKM and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you