How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son filled in his self access net last year and go a

This answer was rated:

My son filled in his self access net last year and go a rebate. Last week he had a letter saying he was under investigation as they had paid back all his tax, he filled one in the year before but hadn't worked so no rebate no tax paid would this have been the reason also he never put 1 person on his return as he didn't know his details and had moved away but the tax was paid at 20%from any money he earns
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Could you please explain your situation a little more?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is self employed but the people that he works for take his tax so he shouldn't owe any he then fills in a self assessment form with his expenses on he did this last year and we didn't realise but he was paid back all his tax he had paid he also didn't put on the form a person he worked for for a couple of weeks as he had moved away and we didn't have any paper work for what he had been paid but the tax had been taken out. Now he has had a letter from the taxman to say he is under investigation for the money they paid back to him not sure what to do Enid
Ok - so he had the money back, but didnt declare it and worked for a company and didnt declare that either?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He thought it was his rebate as its what they gave him and no he didn't declare what he earned at a company as he didn't know there name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't work the year before would he have had a tax rebate for that ?
How much is the tax short?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then its bad news. He needs to declare the current tax due and he was working. He will have to pay interest on the tax and a penalty. The penalty will depend on whether this was intentional, co-operation and if a full disclosure has been made.But he will be liable for interest and a penalty. He should co-operate and declare it now.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Good luck. Alex