How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My 76 year old mother has received a letter from a solicitor

This answer was rated:

My 76 year old mother has received a letter from a solicitor acting on behalf of an organisation to say my mother owes over £19,000 for unpaid care home fees. The letter states they will not enter into any dialogue with her and if payment was not received before today, they would start court proceedings.
We dispute that my mother owes the money as were led to believe the local authority would pay them. She has no money - she only had a mobile home which had to be sold when she could no longer safely live there and it was sold for £25,000. After my mother paid for my Fathers funeral and cleared outstanding debts she had just over £2,300 left.
We have written to the local authority but they maintain they are not responsible and have not offered any help. My mother is very ill (she has a long-term mental health condition and has been in and out of hospital for varying periods of time over the last two years).
My mother doesn't want to receive a summons and would like to offer to pay a monthly amount from her pension (she can afford about £10 a month) until the matter is settled with the local authority - will that stop court action or is there anything else she can do?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did the Local Authority ever confirm in writing they would cover the cost?
Does your mum have any assets such as property etc?


Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother doesn't have any property - the local authority placed her in the home temporarily as she was discharged from hospital but my father couldn't care for as he was dying. She was assessed and the local authority said she didn't need to be there but couldn't offer an alternative except to return to her mobile which she wasn't able to do as she couldn't climb the steps to get into or out of it. we disputed their decision and were eventually advised that if she sold the mobile she could apply for a place in sheltered accommodation. She sold it in July last year for £25k and we were told to send evidence of the sale and my mothers finances to the local authority - we did that and thought that was the end of it. The care home sent an invoice addressed to my mother several months ago but we ignored it as we assumed the local authority would settle it. My mother then received a letter from a solicitor last week giving her 7 days to pay or face a summons. We've got back in touch wit the council who insist they will neo pay anything or help in any way as, in their opinion she didn't need to be in the home.My tel number is *****(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry my phone has been busy - are you still able to call me?

Yes when would be good to call?

Are you able to say when you want the call?