How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 54557
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Our 3 1/2 year old volvo keeps getting stuck in park. We

This answer was rated:

Our 3 1/2 year old volvo keeps getting stuck in park. We highlighted this to Volvo within the Warranty period though on the second visit outside the warranty period for the same problem the advisor admitted that Volvo UK told them not to replace the gearbox.
After much protesting Volvo UK apparently agreed to pay 70% of the £5500.00 gearbox and the local dealership 10% leaving me with a £1100.00 bill.
We have had the car back a couple of day and it has got stuck in park again. I am still in disbelief as this is what we paid to have rectified. I have checked with the Volvo Owners Club only to be told this is a common fault and the gearbox would not require replacing.
We are now in the position of having paid for something that didn’t need replacing (car still faulty) and having highlighted the issue to Volvo within the warranty period where Volvo failed to act.
Volvo Owners Club (Gear Selector Stuck in Park)
This applies to all Volvo XC cars, the trouble is due to the trigger on your gear stick which is broken, so this will need to be changed with the car in park there should be an unlock button you push down on. If you can’t see it take a small screw driver to move the trigger forward that will let you move the gear stick and get your key out this is very common and a known fault.
Where do I stand now with regards ***** ***** the gear box contribution back and getting the car fix properly as we still have the same fault that was raised within the warranty period.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Please can you briefly outline the warrant details so that I can look into this for you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When the fault was originally reported the car was under three years old

The warranty offers full protection against the cost or replacement of any factory fitted mechanical or electrical component which suffers a sudden mechanical or electrical failure.

The only exceptions are:
-Exhaust system (catalytic converters are covered), tyres and batteries.
-Parts replaced as a result of fair wear and tear including, but not limited to, clutch plates, brake shoes, pads and discs, wiper -blades, bulbs and fuses.
-Damage to paintwork, trim, glass or chrome work or any damage caused by any external influence including, but not limited to, bird lime and atmospheric fall-out, stone chips and scratches.
-Bodywork and wheel corrosion.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. When a consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they will have certain 'statutory' rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

The law states that the goods must be of satisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose. If they are not, you will have certain legal remedies against the seller. The only time action can be taken against the manufacturer is under a manufacturer's warranty or guarantee. There is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage, faults that were pointed out at the time of sale or if you change your mind and no longer want the goods.

So if you have a problem, which now may even be outside of the warranty period, you still have rights under statute. You can also argue that the repairs they carried out were incorrect and unnecessary and you were misled into having to pay these costs which have in no way resolved the issues. As such you should be entitled to still have the vehicle fixed, although they my still retain a proportion of the repair costs to fix the actual problem (you should nevertheless be refunded for the unnecessary work carried out).

You can quote the applicable laws and rules as mentioned above. If they appear reluctant to assist, write to them one more time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to meet their legal obligations, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation for your losses.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should more formal action be required, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.