How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JustAnswerKM Your Own Question
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 42
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
Type Your Law Question Here...
JustAnswerKM is online now

How can I get financial help to defend myself and make a

Customer Question

How can I get financial help to defend myself and make a counter claim for professional negligence of the solicitors making a claim to recover costs from me arising from their own professional negligence. I receive DLA, I have run out of money and credit, I have a power of attorney for my wife who has brain damage caused by medical errors but cannot use this or pass the power of attorney to her reserve attorney and so we cannot raise funds by equity release on our mortgage free home. We both have state pensions and no other income.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 2 years ago.

Good evening

Thank you for your message, I will do my best to help.

With regards ***** ***** first point of your question, unfortunately there is no legal aid available for cases such as yours. However, there are solicitors that take on negligence claims on either a 'no-win-no-fee' agreement or 'conditional' agreement. This very much depends on the probability of winning. They will assess the facts (information about the case you give them) and if you have a strong case, they will propose a fee structure. Do be sure to thoroughly read the agreement, perhaps bring a copy to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You can do a search on google for 'no-win-no-fee negligence solicitors' or call the Law Society for details of a firm of solicitors local to you that provide flexible fee agreements:(###) ###-####5650 (Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:30).

With regards ***** ***** joint property, in order to sell it or apply for permission to release equity, you can appoint a Trustee in place of your wife. This application can be made through the Court of Protection. The Court of Protection deal with cases involving individuals that lack mental capacity. Call their helpline number 0300(###) ###-####for the necessary forms. I have attached the guidance notes to this email. The fee is £400.

With regards ***** ***** equity release, pop into your local elderly charity like AgeUK, they should be able to find packages suitable for your circumstances.

I hope that help.

Best of luck,

Kind regards


*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.