How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1371
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My wife has just packed all her belongings and left the

Customer Question

My wife has just packed all her belongings and left the house.
It is in joint names but I explained to her that I wish to change the locks as a security issue
and for my own pease of mind untill all the legal points have been sorted out.
I explained to her that if she wishes to enter the house she can let me know and I would gladly let her in.
So I need to know if I can go ahead and change the locks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear about the break up of the relationship between yourself and your wife.

As you are joint owners of the property - then you both have a right to enjoy occupation of the house.

Whilst you can technically change the locks to the property - if you took such action then you would have to provide a set of keys to your wife on her request. If you did not do so - then she could once again change the locks to gain entry and then provide you with a set of the new keys.

Its best to consider what is going to happen in respect of the matrimonial finances including the matrimonial home. You should consider mediation. A separation agreement could be prepared or if divorce is contemplated an agreement reached in respect of the matrimonial finances being submitted to the family court, which once approved by a Judge will be legally binding.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind Regards


Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today