How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49816
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I 't really know which department this should go to but I'll

This answer was rated:

I don't really know which department this should go to but I'll tell you anyway and see if you can help...I would like to try and sue somebody, an employee on the social media site Twitter, I'm not on the site myself but I know some people who are and they have been telling me what this person I want to sue have been saying...they have been insinuating that I am into rather disgusting sexual acts involving my hands and also they have been accusing me, wrongly, that I have been participating in sexual acts with their friends, whom I might add do not even know let alone been in sexual relations with...I'm at the end of my tether with this and want it over and done with, if you can help I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Does this relates to your colleague or your employer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is to do with Twitter itself or should I say someone who works at Twitter, they are calling themselves @AngelaCarson31 but if what these people who are relaying this information back to me are saying I & they think they are someone else entirely, it's all very confusing & extremely disturbing as you can imagine, as I've said, I'm not on Twitter myself but they, @AngelaCarson31, still feel the need to target me and attack me and I honestly don't know why.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. In the circumstances your only potential claim would be for defamation and whilst this may appear to be a potential case of defamation (this includes libel if it is in written form, or slander if it is in oral form), such claims are extremely difficult to pursue. Many people are intent on suing for defamation without having any appreciation of the law behind them, so I will try and clear things up for you now.

First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. The statement has to be untrue.

2. It must directly identify the complainant.

3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.

4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.

5. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant.

Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect.

You must also consider whether the party alleged of making the defamatory statement can defend the claim. Even if you satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory it could be defended on a number of grounds, including by providing evidence that the statement was substantially true or an honest opinion.

There is of course nothing stopping you from contacting the other party and threatening them that what they have done amounts to defamation and that you will consider pursuing the matter further if they do not retract their statement. This could prompt them to reconsider their position, but I would not recommend that you actually proceed with a claim for defamation due to the issues highlighted above.

Instead I suggest you contact Twitter and complain about this person and they should investigate this internally and if they find any illegal activities, such as defamatory comments, were being made they can take further action themselves. This could be disciplining the person if they are actually the company’s employee or removing them as a user of the site.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First of all thank you for your response, it was very kind of you, I can most definately tell you that it is written down, it is all on the person I told you about's twitter timeline, if you would like to go and look for yourself it's all over it..I refer you to [email protected], she says things most distinctly about "karen geal" and "Zilence" she accuses one of being the other and vice versa and as I said accuses of being in sexual acts involving the hand and also in sexual relations with people unknown...please go and look, it's shocking and upsetting it really is.

I have no doubt that what has been written is false and upsetting but I am only here to discuss the legal position, which is as explained above. So if you have any queries in relation to this, please let me know, thanks

My response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you